Business Ethics (Fall 2018)
Welcome to the course site for Samuel Taylor's Business Ethics at Tuskegee University for Fall 2018. In the header here I will post any relevant announcements including reading assignments for the following week. Below you can find links to course materials such as the syllabus, handouts, links to readings etc.
- As mentioned in class, for today (9/6) you should have read Bowie's "Respecting the Humanity in a Person" from our textbook.
- As mentioned in class, Quiz 1 was moved back to today 9/6
- For Tuesday 9/11 read "The Cringing and the Craven: Freedom of Expression in the Workplace" from our textbook.
- For Thursday 9/13 read "Facial Discrimination" from our textbook
- QUIZ 2 will be 9/13 and will cover the basics of the moral theories we have discussed: utilitarianism, rights based theories, Kantian ethics (and his two principles), Virtue Ethics, and Pluralism.
ANNOUNCEMENT (8/28/2018): For Thursday (8/30) you should read Robert Audi's "Some Approaches to Determining Ethical Obligations" (pp. xxiii - xxvii) in our textbook. If you're having trouble getting access to our textbook during these first weeks of classes, please do stop by my office hours to talk to me.
- NOTE: Our first quiz will be in class next Tuesday (9/4/2018). This quiz will cover the in-class material on arguments including the definition of an argument, premises, conclusion, deduction, induction, validity, invalidity, and soundness. There will be at least two arguments that you will have to identify as either valid or invalid.
- OPTIONAL: It might be helpful (especially for the quiz coming up) to also look over the "Validity and Soundness" article and related videos (linked below) to review the material on argumentative standards that will be on Quiz 1.
- Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy article on "Validity and Soundness"